Help us Help you Home Heating Safety Tips
Mankato-Help us help you stay safe by following tips to help prevent fires and injuries from home heating equipment:
- Keep heating equipment at least three feet away from combustible materials.
- When asleep or not in the home, turn off space heaters and extinguish fires in a fireplace.
- Ensure space heater cords are in good condition with no breaks or frays.
- Only clean, dry wood should be burned in the fireplace.
- Fireplace screens should be firmly placed while burning a fire to help prevent sparks and flying embers.
- Furnaces and fireplaces should be professionally serviced annually to prevent damage or blockages that can cause fires.
- Keep the furnace room free of dust and debris.
Learn more about fire safety. For more information contact staff at 311 or 507-387-8600.