Mankato Radio Group – Operations Manager
Oversees the day-to-day operations of all radio stations, digital assets and various sub-units. Oversees, coordinates, and administers a range of operational, programming and administrative activities in direct support of the delivery of 24-hour radio programming by the station. Participates in the development and administration of strategic and operating plans, evaluates programs for compliance with the overall mission of the station. Works closely with General Manager to foster promotional and sales efforts and initiatives, guides and encourages talent growth, seeks resource efficiencies and pro-actively assesses risk, be they physical or legal.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees and coordinates the continuous, multifaceted daily operations of the radio station, ensuring compliance with FCC rules and regulations, broadcast standards, company policies, and relevant federal and state laws and regulations.
- Maintains accurate schedules, records, reports, and follow-through communications, and ensures that all on-air broadcast programming complies with FCC rules and regulations.
- Participates in the establishment, organization, and implementation of short- and long-range goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates program effectiveness and effects changes required for improvement.
- Directs and administers the provision of day-to-day operation support to the various units of the stations, including the engineering portions of the station’s physical plant, space allocation and utilization, station supplies and inventory, and station safety and security.
- Plans, designs, establishes, and maintains organizational structures and systems that enable staff members to effectively accomplish the organization’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Assigns, allocates work, and generally oversees personnel engaged in continuous station operations; performs recruitment, training, scheduling, retention, problem resolution, and performance management.
- Coordinates departmental meetings and give direction to staff, reviews and coaches air talent (air check) on a regular basis. Holds subordinates accountable.
- Develops and implements systems to maintain records on station operations, equipment, and compliance activities; prepares regular reports, including required FCC filings.
- Provides advice and assistance to senior station management & ownership in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of modification to existing operations, systems, and procedures.
- Researches and makes recommendations to management pertaining to acquisition of operating equipment; participates in the development and management of annual operating budgets.
- May provide services as an on-air host, as required.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to lead by example and inspire others to grow professionally.
- Skilled builder and maintainer of positive culture.
- Strong collaboration and creative skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Maintenance skills include digital networks, work stations, and transmitter equipment.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Knowledge of radio principles, procedures, operations, and standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of radio communications facilities and distribution systems.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Knowledge of inventory management practices.
- Knowledge of radio organizational structures, workflows, systems, and operating procedures.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Knowledge of FCC and other federal, state, and local broadcasting regulations.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Knowledge of budgeting and fiscal management principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of facilities management, physical plant, safety, and building safety and security procedures.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Knowledge of on-air and remote broadcasting processes and procedures.
- Ability to lead and motivate staff.
- Skills in examining and developing station operations and procedures, formulating policy, and implementing organizational strategies and procedures including adjustment to formats, play clocks, etc.
- Ability to oversee, coordinate, and support the execution of continuous broadcast schedules on a 24×7 basis.
- Knowledge of current and developing trends in radio.
- Skill in troubleshooting and operating radio equipment.
- Ability to voice and host radio programs as needed.
- Ability to lead staff in an encouraging and positive manner.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Limited physical effort is required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.