Blizzard conditions to impact travel in southcentral Minnesota Wednesday and Thursday
MANKATO, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation warns motorists in southcentral Minnesota that the forecasted blizzard with heavy snow and strong winds will significantly reduce visibility and make travel difficult or impossible Wednesday afternoon through Thursday evening.
According to the National Weather Service, much of southcentral MN remains under a Winter Storm Warning through 12 p.m. today, followed by a Blizzard Warning from Wednesday afternoon through Thursday evening. Strong winds, heavy snowfall, and whiteout conditions are likely, especially in open areas. Motorists should have a full tank of gas and a winter survival kit if they must travel in these conditions.
Motorists are advised that the forecast storm may result in road closures or No Travel Advisories later today as the blizzard moves into the region.
MnDOT advises motorists to check road conditions before traveling. The public can view winter road conditions on state highways from plow and fixed cameras available through the www.511mn.org website. Note that not all plows have cameras. Road conditions shown on 511mn.org only reflect conditions on state highways and interstates. Please check with local agencies for their road conditions and travel guidance.
MnDOT snowplow operators will do their part to make highways safe and motorists should remember to:
- Check MnDOT’s road conditions map at www.511mn.org
- Stay alert for snowplows, which turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They also may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow. Don’t drive into a snow cloud.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions.
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off the cruise control.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Don’t drive distracted.
Sign up for Travel Alerts
Motorists can sign up for email or text travel alerts for state highways at mndot.gov/d7 by clicking “Email and text updates” under the “Connect with us” heading. Choose to receive messages via email or text message. Then, choose the “South Central MN” under the “Travel Alerts” category.
Stay connected, informed
- Join the MnDOT South Central Minnesota Facebook group
- Follow us on Twitter @mndotscentral
- For updated road condition information visit www.511mn.org
- For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html