Klobuchar Highlights New Law Aimed at Preventing CO Poisoning Deaths
Senator Amy Klobuchar is using a cold Minnesota day to highlight a new law named after two boys from Kimball who died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Cheryl Burt lost her sons Nicholas and Zachary in January of 1996 after making a fire in their new home:
“What actually ended up happening I believe is that there was a down draft. We had a faulty furnace which then exacerbated everything and we did not have a carbon monoxide alarm. All I knew is we were getting sicker and sicker and sicker throughout the night.”
Burt believes that a carbon monoxide alarm may have saved her sons’ lives. Klobuchar says her goal is to get a C-O detector in every building in America.