Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato earns ‘A’ grade again for patient safety
Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato is among the Mayo Clinic hospitals across Mayo Clinic that scored high marks for safety, earning an “A” grade from The Leapfrog Group, an independent national nonprofit organization that provides safety ratings. The ratings are intended to help patients choose their preferred health care destinations.
“We are extremely proud that each of our eligible hospitals received an “A” grade for safety and the quality of care provided to our patients,” says James Hebl, M.D., regional vice president, Southwest Minnesota Region, Mayo Clinic Health System. “This recognition is truly a reflection of our hard-working and dedicated staff who provide Mayo Clinic care close to home each and every day.”
Mayo Clinic hospitals that received an “A” grade are:
- Mayo Clinic Hospital in Arizona
- Mayo Clinic Hospital in Florida
- Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester
Mayo Clinic Health System
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Albert Lea and Austin, Minnesota
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Fairmont, Minnesota
- Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse, Wisconsin
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato, Minnesota
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Red Wing, Minnesota
The Leapfrog Group’s Hospital Safety Score is updated and published twice each year. The score is based on 15 measures of publicly available hospital safety data and 12 self-reported survey answers, which are combined to produce a single safety score. A panel of patient safety experts developed the measures for the score.
“Safety will always be a key consideration for patients, and of course, it is our top priority as a health care provider,” says Prathibha Varkey, M.B.B.S., president of Mayo Clinic Health System. “The hard work and dedication of our staff is why we can continue to meet the expectations of our communities for safe, high-quality, affordable health care close to home.”
The Leapfrog Group’s survey assesses the status of many hospital practice areas, including:
- Electronic medication ordering.
- Staffing of ICUs by professionals certified in critical care medicine.
- Structures and systems in place to provide a culture that supports safety.
- Practices to monitor and maintain safe nursing workforce levels.
- Monitoring proper hand hygiene techniques of staff who interact with patients.
- Monitoring the use of barcode scanning of patients and medications when administering medications in the hospital.
The Leapfrog Group is one of many groups that recognize Mayo Clinic as a top choice for patients.